As many of you already know, I have been admitted to the hospital for extended bed rest. I have been so overwhelmed that I haven't been able to get back to those who have reached out or give an update of the situation.
Let me first of start by saying, THANK YOU!!! For all the amazing support that we have received. I have been so touched by the acts of service from others that I am constantly left in tears!! It has been really hard these last few days and all of you have done more then I could have possibly imagined to help lift our spirits. I feel eternally indebted to you and I promise I will somehow find a way to return the favor and express my full gratitude.
From the beginning, this is how the whole story goes. Since the kind of twins I am carrying {one placenta, two sacks} there are a lot of high risks, so to eliminate things going undetected or getting out of control too fast, I went in to get an ultra sound every week. There they would measure the babies, their fluid, and the length of my cervix. I always felt like the twins would do great, and they passed the whole second trimester without any concerns. They passed every test with flying colors and usually my cervix was always measuring great and never had any concerns.
So last Saturday the 9th, I woke up at 5:20am to some of the worse contractions I have ever had. Even with my first pregnancy I never felt contractions this strong. I tried everything to get relaxed and calm my body down. They were so strong I couldn't count them so I just committed to an hour and if they didn't stop we would just go straight to the hospital. Luckily they stopped exactly an hour later at 6:20. I just assumed they were Braxton Hicks and didn't think twice after that. Then at my weekly high risk appointment {at the time I was 28 weeks and 2 days} I shared that episode with my doctor and ultra sound tech and she instantly had a concerned look on thier face. As my cervix showed up on the ultra sound screen, I could instantly tell it was completely different. I could see it was opening up and the length was extremely smaller than it had been in the past.
The Tech and high risk doctor came in and asked why didn't call when I woke up on Saturday and impressed the importance of the situation. My cervix usually had measured a healthy 4.3cm long in the past and fully closed, and at 2cm they usually will put you on bed rest. My cervix was starting to funnel and had shortened down to 1cm. This was a huge and dramatic change in one short week. I have never been told bad news from a doctor before, and the look in their eyes was enough confirmation to know that this was a big deal. She ordered me to go next door to the hospital and be admitted into Labor and Delivery where they were going to give me steroid shots to help develop the twins lungs develop and measure my contractions to see if I need further medication. I was all alone at that time. My girlfriend was watching Ekemona and we were making plans to celebrate Valentine's Day for the Young Woman's in our ward {the youth group that we both volunteer for} and Gian was at his usual schedule of studying and going to to school. Everyone I called wasn't able to talk or didn't pick up. Gian and I could only communicate through text. My voice was shaky, my eyes were damp, but I felt strong and confident that things would be just fine yet concerned about the seriousness of the situation.
As I changed into the hospital gown they place monitors on my perfectly large round belly. They were able to count my oxygen, contractions and the babies' heart beats. The nurse comes in and ask what level of pain I was in and I said "a zero!" She then continued to tell me that I am having contractions about every 8 minutes and they were going to start me on some medication to slow down the contractions. About an hour later, the contractions got worse and were every 3-4 minutes apart. Right at that point, Gian was there and I had been able to get in touch with my parents. My great doctor comes in and says that I would be admitted to the hospital for 4 weeks minimum of a strict bed rest and his goal was to make it to 32 weeks. As we continued to ask the questions, he explained that I would be here for 4-8 weeks and it would be indefinite until the babies come because the cervix doesn't close back up, it can change but not by a lot. I would also be taking the medication to slow down my contractions until the babies are looking good and ready to come and once I stop taking it that means everyone is ready for baby time.
So here I am, 28.5 weeks pregnant with spontaneous identical twins on a strict bed rest for the next 4-8 weeks. The reason why 32 weeks is such an important milestone is because it would give the babies a 99% of not having any long term health issues, but I say 7-8 weeks because that will make me 35-36 weeks which is full term for twins and I think I can make it. The reason it is so important that I am on bed rest is because my cervix can no longer give the structure my body needs to keep the weight of the babies in. Once it starts openening up indicates that labor is just around the corner and my water could break at any given point. So even though my cervix is funneling and shortened, I still have hope! The reason I can't be on bed rest at home is because anything can happen at any point, me and the twins are being constantly monitored around the clock. Also, my orders {not necessarily the same for everyone else} is I can only walk to use the restroom and to the shower, but even then I am not allowed to stand in the shower. I can't walk around, I can't fill up my own water bottle, I can't even sit in a seat to eat a meal. Not to mention the leash that hooks me up to the machine that monitors us three is only 4ft long!
I bet you are wondering what in the world has happened to Ekemona through this whole process? On Wednesday night my mom caught the next flight out from Maui to LAX to come and be with me as soon as possible. It was the perfect thing we needed! She was able to babysit little Eke while Gian stayed committed to law school and as plans and thoughts started to manifest, we made a family decision to send Ekemona to go live with my sister Brittany in Idaho. It was the hardest thing to swallow, but at the same time it was our first pick since it is family and I know they would provide the right amount of structure for his fragile age that thrives for schedules and consistency. On Saturday, Feb 16th my mom left with Ekemona to Idaho, until the twins are born or unless something else comes up. I am so thankful for my sister Brittany's jump to help and create a support system for us, along with all the sacrifices my parents made to be here for us during a time that was so important.
As you can imagine, the first night was traumatic. I only slept an hour and a half and then cried the whole time while patiently looking at the clock waiting for them to bring me my breakfast. It was a lot to take in, knowing that I won't leave the hospital until after the twins are born, no nesting, I am no longer able to help myself do basic tasks, let alone care for my family and mostly my little baby boy. who is my best little friend and helper! So it's been humbling!! I feel like I'm at the constant mercy of every human around me, but we are all doing better now. Things are under control and I know me and Ekemona are in good hands so that is all that matters.
So there it is, that is the full story.... and since I am processing so many emotions I bet you can count on me coming back here to write it all out therapeutically. Now maybe I will have actual time to catch up and read all the blogs I have been wanting to for ages now!! I have to say how much I love this hospital!! The whole staff is amazing and I love my nurses!!! Not to mention my doctor is so awesome and I am constantly hearing words of affirmation from people here around the hospital about how he is the best in the whole area!! So he is a good substitute for my last doctor all the way back in Utah, Dr. Ryan Ollerton!! If you have had the pleasure of having him then you should consider yourself pretty freaking lucky hahaha. I know I am biased!!! Want to know my favorite and best thing about this hospital? It is right on the ocean so I get to have this amazing view every day!!!
Have a great week and thank you again for all who have helped and supported us through this tough time! It has been heaven sent!! I just love you to a million pieces!!
Saturday, February 16, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






15 comments:
Oh McKinley!! I hate being in that hospital bed, hooked up to monitors for the short lengh of my labor and delivery! I can't even imagine being there like you for 1 or 2 months! But you are so strong and positive, I know you'll be ok and stick it out for that long for the health of your babies! Thank goodness for awesome family to take care of Ekemona, and for FaceTime or Skype so you can still see him and talk to him miles away. Hang in there sweet thing! You are amazing! And when you're ready for a melt down...you can call or text me to vent. :)
I LOVE you McKinley, not being on Facebook right now for Lent (its a challenge) I am missing things. So I am glad you blogged about this, my heart goes out to your family. That must be so tough, you are so wise to let Ekemona be with family and I am glad your sister is there for you and your parents. That must be so hard, I can't imagine being in your situation, I am going to pray for you and put your name on the prayer roll of the temple. Love you, Em
What a crazy experience to go through. I want to jump on a plane and come keep you company in the hospital. I'm a professional at hospital visits :) I left you a message but call me anytime and I will keep you company over the phone at least. Much love and prayers coming your ways. :) xoxoxo
Oh McKinley! We will be praying for you. As you know, I know all about preemies and the NICU after both of my girls, so if it comes to that I am definitely here for you! Stay strong.... You are amazing :-) I hope you do what I couldn't and keep those babies cooking!
Wow, what a tough time for all of you guys! Hang in there and keep those babies healthy! We'll be thinking of you and praying for you!
Wow, that sounds super tough. I really admire you for selflessly doing all that you can to ensure the best health for you baby girls.
Keep blogging and keeping us updated. And keep playing our words with friends/hanging games...it keeps me entertained while Sadie is napping and stuff too :)
McKinley I had no idea! Bless your sweet little heart! But if anyone could handle this it would be you. I have always been so inspired by how in touch you are with the Spirit and your own motherly instincts. I am so proud of you for being so strong and positive. You're incredible nd your sweet girls are so blessed to have a mom who cares so much and takes such good care of them even before they're born. I am sure Heavenly Father is so relieved to be able to send not only one baby but two to a family who already loves them so deeply. I love you dear and if there is anything us Utahns can do for you please let me know.
Mckinley!!! Just read this now :( Big hugs mama.. I have been so behind on everything to do with the internet but just saw this posting. You are one truly brave, strong and amazing mama. You will get through this. I am so glad you have suppose from your family to watch your sweet boy so you can try to bake those babies much longer. I will be thinking of you and hoping you make it to 32 weeks at a minimum. I can only imagine what you are going through as im at 30 weeks. Big big hugs mama - rest up
So much love is coming your way. You are absolutely amazing to be facing this with so much positivity. I'm so glad that your sister offered to care for your sweet boy. He's surrounded by love and honestly? HE probably won't remember much of this time anyway.
Take care of yourself and those little girls.
Tommie
Oh McKinley!!! Thinking of you and all 4 of your precious family members! Rest, Mama, rest!
I am so sorry! What a bummer. My sister in law always has to do hospitalized bed rest with all her pregnancies, and I know it was so difficult for her. I had my own bed rest threat last week, but thankfully i have avoided it so far. But isnt it amazing what medicine can do these days?! Praying for you and your little family. This too shall pass!
Gian just texted Dave and told him the news -wish we lived closer so we could be there to help! I'm glad that they're keeping a good eye on you and the babies at the hospital. We are praying for you all. I'm having Dave send Gian my number if you can think of anything we can do! Hang in there!!
Oh my goodness, McKinley! I am just now reading this. I knew you were on bed rest, but I just didn't know the circumstances. Please know that I will say some prayers for you! I can't imagine what you are going through and that seems like such a long time. But I am glad you have such a great and loving family to support you!
I'm so glad you're at a good hospital and I desperately hope time flies for you!! :)
Post a Comment