Sunday, September 15, 2013

I Swore I Never Would....

I always said I would never pierce my babies' ears. I don't know why. It wasn't like I didn't like other babies with pierced ears... it just wasn't my thing. I didn't want my children to ever feel like looks are/was/is a big deal. I've had this inner battle since I was in the hospital on bed rest {where I had tons of time to think about it}. The pros and cons seemed about the same, but I knew if they were too identical, pierced ears would be in my benefit. Well the girls are super identical. There are literally only two people on this planet who have been right 90% of the time they guess... and guess what... those two people are not me and Gian. Yep, even Gian and I get confused more then we like to admit.

So here is my list of pros and cons

Pros                          Cons
No drama when they are                  I don't want them to feel 
older                                                like they are only pretty if...

It is easier to clean                         I feel selfish

Less chance of closing up               What if I rob them of them having their 
                                                        own experience 

Other people can tell them              Will people think I'm a bad mom for
apart                                                not telling them apart

It will help them while in pre-         Not sure if I like the look of earrings
school/nursery

If they don't want people to            What if I regret it
tell them apart they can wear
the same earrings.

No one has ever said, "I                   What if they get jacked up
really regret getting my ears
pierced!!!"

It's next to their faces so it is             Does it hurt them too much
easier than looking at their toe 
nails

In the winter their feet will be          I am just not sure how I feel about   
covered                                            any of it

It makes our lives a little less           I didn't like my experience
complicated, which with 
multiples is def. on the top of          Is is age appropriate?
my list.

I don't have to keep painting            I liked waiting/choosing for myself and
their toes, which is now                   the excitement that came with it 
getting harder

It's consistent and I don't have         Will they still look like babies?
to worry about it changing like
everything else on their body.          What if they don't want to be different?

So that is a good, valid list right? Once we had twins I felt like it was a whole new ball game, but I just kind of felt in my gut it was something I needed to do. I was done painting their toes! I was getting tired of the whole task and now they are putting their feet in their mouths. I don't care if the paint is non-toxic... it's still chemicals that could go through their bodies and it's not solving the problem that their paint flakes off in 7 days or less, not to mention they are moving more and it's harder now that they aren't in their swings and I don't want to feel like I have one more chore to do!

But here was the deciding factor - I was holding Snow and I knew it was her, but we were dancing around the room, singing a song when I saw her reflection in the mirror and called her by her sister's name and then I had my usual twilight zone moment trying to figure out who I held last and why and where and how.... its a trippy moment!! ...and it happens ALL THE TIME!!! Like more than once a day... and at that moment I knew earrings would stop me from feeling like I live in a parallel universe.... all the time!

The next day at church, I realized how the earrings were growing on me and I felt like it wasn't taking away from their natural beauty, but instead I was confident who was who and I didn't need to compare them to each other or spaz out and connect the dots of who was where last when and why moment. I especially loved that Gian could pass me a girl and I didn't have to search her feet to confirm my thought... to later be proven wrong, or even compare her to her sissy. I like that the earrings are so close to the face because it keeps you focused on their different features. But mostly I loved telling people who was who with out having to think of the process ahahah.

So if you are debating if piercing your twins ears is the way to go... then think of this - When she is two, she will love knowing that her friends and family will call her by the right name just because of one small tiny detail that doesn't define her. She can change it at any moment to be just like her sister if she asks/wants. When she is two and in nursery her teachers will not go crazy trying to keep track or who is which, and at two it won't be too late to regret doing it because if you did do it... you know you're just in a world of hurt to pierce at that age! Like I mentioned before, "I really regret having pierced ears," said no girl EVER!!!

Ohhh PS Rose is PINK and Snow is PURPLE ahahah now you will always know too!

Now let's just laugh at how adorable this photo is!! And you can tell me who is who ;)


4 comments:

Hope Wiltfong said...

I have a friend with twins who always dresses her Rose with some pink on her, and Penny without. And personally, I think YOUR solution is a whole lot better.
Congratulations!

Lindsay said...

Piercing their ears is a great idea!!! I didn't pierce my ears until I was 19. They hurt ALL the time, so I just took them out and they closed up. I wish they would have been pierced when I was a baby.

Unknown said...

Dude I saw your instagram picture this morning and totally spotted their earrings!! And I thought I was going crazy. Aaaand your telling them apart idea is genius + 10. I totally understand all your cons and agree with them, but the "I can tell them apart" pro TRUMPS EVERYTHING! now when you post guessing games I won't fail every time!

BrittWilk said...

such a great idea! the parallel universe thing would drive me nuts. they are so adorable. do they totally snuggle when they sleep like that? i love it!

and as for regreting piercing ears... i'm that one girl who does! my mom made me wait until i was 12 so i could make a good decision because she's allergic to EVERYTHING but 24 carat gold. unfortunately i too, am allergic to everything. 14 carat even. who knows about 24, but i certainly don't have any! so now i have holes i never use. :) and i regret it. ha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...