Saturday, September 12, 2009

And Just a Dash of Luck...

So I am here in Northern California, in a small town called Alamo. This is where I have lived for most of my childhood. My parents thankfully still have this house, and it is so nice to come back to. I realized that I have not been in this home in over a year.

I asked my dad if he wanted to go to Laurence's for lunch, it is mostly this butcher shop where everyone in town gets their meat, but they also make great BBQ on Saturday afternoons. Since I haven't been there for a while I was really looking forward to eating my turkey sandwich. We get our meals and more then half way through I bite into something hard. At first I thought it was a bone, which is weird because it's not ground meat, it's just a fillet of turkey (I am not sure if that is culinaryly correct, but I am using it anyways...I don't know if the word I just made up was grammatically correct). I pull the sandwich away from my mouth to see what this hard thing was. IT WAS A PENNY! A penny was in my sandwich...right between the cheese and the meat. My dad and I just start laughing. We were not mad or angry we just thought it was really interesting.

I took it to the cook who was working the grill and he looked at me and said, "How did that get there?" I replied, "I don't know, but would you like to show this to your manager?" He did and said he would get us a refund. My dad and I really didn't care. It did no harm and the meal was still great so we did not leave offended or unsatisfied. When I returned to the table my dad said, "You know that's really funny, that means good luck," and I said, "That must be true because we are getting married in 7 days, exactly a week from today."

When I shared this story with my mom, she too started laughing and said it means good luck. She didn't even know that that was what my dad had said earlier.

I guess it really must mean good luck...I mean what are the odds of finding a penny, heads up, in your food?

1 comment:

BrittWilk said...

i'm sure it's good luck! i agree! though you won't need it. you probably feel like i did about our wedding - as long as we're sealed at the end of the day the whole thing could fall apart and it would be okay! hope the day is wonderful and we're sad we can't be there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...