Thursday, July 2, 2009

First Comes Love...

Once upon a time, there was a girl named McKinley who had a best friend named Jessie.... Jessie and I met through work about 2 years ago. She is amazing and fun and funny. After much time together she began to know me inside and out (as most friends do). She knew my likes and dislikes. One day she was walking to campus (BYU, Provo) for what she thought was a dance lab. She got there to find out she was a day early. So Jessie wanders off to the Library where she would spend some time studying. There, she comes across Gian a friend she has known since her freshmen year, but hasn't seen in quite some time.

They got to talking, catching up, sharing old memories, until Gian asked, "Jessie, can you hook me up with any cute Asian friends?" Jessie's face lit up with joy and with excitement she replied "Yes, her name is McKinley!!!!" Little did Gian know that I was actually Caucasian, and was white to the bone. Not one ounce of Asian in me. Jessie goes to show him some pictures and after he notices the fact, Jessie says, "Well she's not Asian...but she loves brown guys. You two would be perfect." Gian was pleased with Jessie's referral and decided we wanted to take me out on a date, despite the fact of my ethnic background.

By February 24 we instantly became a blind date. With or without my approval, Jessie informed me of the situation, and she too showed me pictures and I was very excited to go on this "blind date" (is it still blind if we saw pictures of each other?). Before I knew it, Gian and I hit it off. We spent everyday together, we never missed a single beat. Even within the first week people thought we had kids, mistaken me for his fiance, and were convinced that we were going to get married. We now have to say they were all right. I knew from the moment I spoke to him, that there was going to be more then just "some date."

We dated, and dated, and dated and laughed and dated a little bit longer. It wasn't until one of our dates in SLC I knew it wouldn't be long before we could tie the knot. There was this jewelry store, and as a joke I was dragging Gian in saying, "Let's go try rings on" and he was more willing then I was. He perked up and said OK, seriously lets go in." I fell in love with the first ring we tried on.

I didn't know how committed I really was, until the next day when all I could think about was having this life with Gian. I wasn't excited about the ring, I was excited that he would be the one that I would choose to marry. That same day we talked, and told him all that I was thinking and feeling. Even though we were only dating for a very long time of... three months ;) I knew he felt the exact same way. He replied by saying "give me the word and I will buy the ring"...










To continue reading see next blog "Then Comes Marriage".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

McKinley, what fun it is to review and summarize your last year! Girl, you were romanced, engaged, married, career girl and now PREGNANT!!!

You are an exceptionally good writer and beautiful in every way. I can't wait to see my little brown grand baby.

Love Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...