My dad called me yesterday to let me know that my Grandpa passed away Thursday night. So I began to think of all the wonderful memories I have of him.
He really was a very sweet loving man. He always took such good care of my Grandma Joan, and loved her with all he had. He was always happy and joyful. I have never heard him say anything negative. He fought in WWII, which I did a project of him in the 6th grade where I brought in photos and badges... I always thought that was sooooooo neat!!
My favorite memory of him, is when I got to meet him for the first time. I was five years old and have never had a Grandpa before. My sisters and I were so excited, we wanted our grandparents to be so impressed with us that we each learned to play a song on the piano to play for them when they arrived. Brittany was the best pianist, and helped me to learn my song. My mom dressed us up so cute with ribbons in our hair and of course our favorite dresses. As we walked down the wooden pathway waiting for them to arrive we had huge smiles on our faces, we saw them turn the corner and just ran to them for hugs. I remember McCall and I just giggled with excitement. We were so happy and excited to have brand new grandparents!!!
In the last conversation I had with my Grandpa, which was just over a week ago, where he shared that same story, for the first time as an adult I heard his side of the story. He said "Grandma and I were so nervous to meet you girls, but when you guys came running up to us all those thought were gone immediately. You made us feel so welcomed." My throat became swollen with emotions of those memories.
A few years ago Grandpa's goal was to make it until he was 90 years old. After that wonderful celebration I had a fun date with him where I got to have lunch and spend the day with him and take him to the doctors for his check-ups. I told him that he needs to set one more goal, I asked him to be healthy enough so that he could make it to my wedding to do a Jewish ring ceremony. He was so excited and he immediately agreed to my plans. He told every nurse and doctor that day what his new goals were. Unfortunately he was not able to attend our wedding, however he was able to meet Gian (via phone) and to make it past my wedding day.
He also has lived to see FIVE GREAT GRANDCHILDREN!! He has accomplished all the goals he has set for himself, plus bless all of us with his great personality and love.








1 comment:
What a sweet post about your grandpa! I really like the picture of him and your grandma, lovingly looking at each other! I'm so sorry for your loss, but I know how nice it is to think up all the good memories you have of a loved one who has passed away.
Post a Comment