This was shared with me by an old friend back from California. I can't believe it has taken this long for me to finally see it since this story was aired over a year ago. It truly is moving and inspirational! As I was wiping the tears away, I wanted in all my power to share this with everyone I know {even if that meant everyone had already seen it}.
This is a story about a beautiful teenage girl with severe autism who has this amazing and profound talent to communicate. It was interesting how it started; her parents first thought was a "this is a fluke" and continued to push her to confirm if she was doing this intentionally. Through hard work and much love, she has been able to feel a sense of accomplishment and empowerment through this new ability to communicate. The words she writes are so poetic and she can articulate and explain things in ways that help many people understand why children with Autism or any other developmental delays act the way they do.
I can only imagine what it would be like to be in her body - the frustration, pains, and desires of wanting a "normal life." I love how she is able to pull you in and tell you for herself, when many people didn't even know it was possible for her to write and spell. It is a way for us to see her full personality and it is so beautiful!!!
I love how she asks the interviewer if his teenage son is cute! Ahahhaah ohhh that is so so so cute!
Carly, you are my hero!! What a brave and strong intellect you posses. I hope one day that our little Lily will be able to see you as a strong example while she pushes and strives to meet her fullest potential!! Heck, maybe one day you and Lily can be pen pals.... or maybe even BFF's!?!? Thanks for proving the doctors wrong and giving hope to everyone all around the world! I know Lily will be able to do the same.
If you are interested in reading more about Carly's life or want to read more of her writting, click on the links below.
Carly's blog:
http://carlysvoice.com/
Carly's Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/carlysvoice
Sunday, January 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
that's an amazing story. It shows just how little we truly understand about the way the body and the mind interact. Thanks for sharing!
Wow - thanks so much for sharing, this is incredible. What a beautiful young lady who is bringing hope (no pun intended) to so many.
Post a Comment