Thursday, February 16, 2012

Homemade Twix Bars

I found this recipe in one of my cook books. It was freaking awesome!!! The shortbread is soooooooooooo good. If you want a yummy treat that will haunt you for days, then this is the cookie bar you need to make!


Short Bread
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter {cut into small slices}
1 cup heaping all-purpose flour
1/4 cup heaping sugar

Directions: 
*Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C
*Grease bottom of a 9" square cake pan
*In an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, mix all ingredients until they start to bind together
*Press into pan and level the top
*Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden

Caramel
Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup heaping sugar
3 tbsp dark corn syrup {I used brown sugar - see notes below}
14 oz sweetened condensed milk

Directions:
*Place the butter, sugar, corn syrup {or brown sugar mixture}, and condensed milk in a heavy bottom pan
*Heat gently until the sugar has melted
*Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer 6-8 minutes, stirring, until very thick
*Pour over baked shortbread and let chill in refrigerator for 2hrs {I waited about 45mins}

Chocolate
7 oz of chocolate of your choice. I used milk chocolate. 

Directions:
*Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave {follow directions on package}, then spread over the caramel 
*Let chill in refrigerator for 2 hrs or until chocolate has hardened

Notes:
*Substituting corn syrup - 1/2 cup of firmly packed dark brown sugar and 1/8 cup water, mix together with spatula and follow as directed above. This will not give you a caramel coloring like the dark corn syrup would. DO NOT ADD ALL OF BROWN SUGAR TO THE RECIPE, this is just a substitute, only take 3 TBSP of this mixture to add into your carmel recipe. 

*Be sure to not make the caramel or chocolate layers too thick. It is important to keep the ratio even between the three layers otherwise it can be overwhelming in appearance and taste.

*You can make some fun designs in the chocolate if you are feeling frisky!!  

ENJOY!!




8 comments:

Brittany said...

mmmmmm short bread... mmmmmmm chocolate....... mmmmmm carmel......

vintch said...

twix are my FAVORITE candy. two for me, none for you. especially with this delicious recipe!

Janette said...

Hold up hold up... I thought you didn't like chocolate! And you're making Twix bars??? You've got some 'splain' to do young lady!

Janette, the Jongleur

PS Looks amazing btw!

R+M said...

Mmm looks delicious! I'm going to try them next time I need a recipe for dessert!

Brissa said...

i have a feeling these will be the death of me.

Unknown said...

I seriously have to try these!

Sandy a la Mode said...

totally pinned this! i NEEEED to make it!!

and re your comment on my blog, yes, asian babies are cuties! :D

Niina - My Paper Chaos said...

Oh gosh! This looks and sounds amazing! I love twix bars! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...