I want to share with you all the things that have helped me in case you ever have a family member or friend in the hospital. Sometimes it's hard to know what will help others, and I hope that this can give you some insight or inspiration of what you can do for them because I don't know about you, but I never know what really helps me or how to ask for help. So these acts of kindness have shined a whole new light on how I can serve others in their hard times.
Home Sweet Home: When my mom flew out here the day I was admitted, she went to Target and came back with sheets and the world's softest blanket. As you already know, the first few nights were the hardest and when my mom made my hospital bed, with sheets of a loving mother, it really brought so much comfort into the room, and that night I slept the best I did in days. Gian brought me my pillows from home and VIOLA the bed completely transformed!!
Here is my mom making my bed with cute yellow and grey print.... so comfy
and fun! Plus I get complements on it ALL the time!!!
Spontaneous Visits: I have friends come and just sit and talk!! They stay for about and hour or two but it means so much to have people come and just visit!! If I am really lucky, they even come bearing food! Which is already a social event, but when you don't have the ability to eat when you want or what you want.... it literally releases endorphins causing a mini high!! PS It doesn't have to be spontaneous, planed visits are equally as fun because it gives you something to count down to throughout the day... which is what most of us moms here have to do to make time move.
Girls from Young Woman's came to visit me it was like a mini party!!
Christmukkah: I had a friend, Lindsay Bean, come up with the greatest idea I have ever heard!!! She came with a sack full of presents, each marked with a number and every day I got to open one gift. This was vital to me my whole first two weeks. I would wake up just like a kid would on Christmas day excited to see what I would find behind the brightly colored wrapping paper. The first one was a calendar, where I could write my goals and check off days to see how far I had come. It has been soooooooooooo amazing!! I was able to use colorful markers to decorate the calendar with joy and motivation. It was sooooooooo perfect and exactly what I needed! When I opened a new gift for a new day, she had written notes to explain the purpose and meaning of why she picked it. Some things were for the babies and some things were for me. Another one I loved was a journal, and I have been able to write in it anything I have wanted - for the twins, for Ekemona, for myself. It was a great idea!!! She also wrapped tennis balls in cute colored socks and sewed them shut. They were made to rub out the knots you get when laying in bed all day. I LOVE IT!!! Sometimes I make Gian rub them out so I can relax and enjoy it even more.... then he does it to himself. He likes them just as much as me ahhahaha. And it was so nice to see the gifts for the twins. It kept me excited to dress them and I felt like I was nesting, even though I couldn't!
My pimped out calendar!! See the check marks? That's each day I had completed.
Mondays are my big day of the week since that is when the twin's gestational
date changes. 32 weeks is our first big milestone. Smiley faces are my words
of encouragement!
My friend Amrah put these flowers together for my shower.
They are all in different beautiful bottles and mason jars and sit on my window sill.
Edible Delights: Like I mentioned before, FOOD!!! I have never felt more excited to see some kind of familiar food that I know and like! Even something like cereal or a candy bar, no matter what it is, it is uplifting and joyous to have something to look forward too. Even if it's gone within a few short minutes hahaha.
I Feel Pretty: I have made several of these hospital gowns and have eagerly wanted to start my own company, but this pregnancy has obviously given me some setbacks and that whole dream has taken the backseat. However, if you would like one please contact me and I would be thrilled and honored to make one for you, as it would further motivate me to continue my passion and dream. I have made these gowns for family and friends and of course that meant I had to make one for myself right?!? Luckly I was able to make it long before I ever was on bed rest, but having it makes me feel special. I originally made these gowns with the idea of making moms-to-be feel beautiful and sassy when in the hospital with their new baby. Usually a lot of pictures are taken at that time and a lot of visitors want to see your bundle of joy, and without any effort the bright colors and fun patterns bring a style and comfort to healing mothers without the complications of other clothing items. Being in the hospital on bed rest, I discovered a whole new experience with hospital gowns. This gown, with such little red carpet worthy shape, really makes me feel good when I know people are around, and all the nurses here approve!! They love it, some more then I do, ahhaahha and they all encourage me to keep my dream going! That in itself makes me feel even better laying around her all day!
I am wearing these sexy white compression
hose to help prevent blood clots...
don't be jealous!!!
Reading/Writing: So many people have dropped off magazines and short little books. It's nice when you grow old of the TV. And writing helps process all your emotions and hardships. I have found it so important and mentally rewarding to write out my thoughts.
Phone Calls: Any form of social interaction, including FaceTime/Skype, make the day feel a little more cheerful. It also keeps us feeling like we are still in the loop of things.
Baby Shower: I was blessed with some of the best of friends who wanted to throw me a shower while in the hospital. Luckily my hospital is so amazing and supportive and encourage all sorts of social events. It was so vital for me to count down the days and to wake up and feel like I could get ready for the first time in weeks. It felt good to socialize with others and have beautiful decorations and delicious food. It was just the perfect touch!
I am so thankful for people who have just taken the reigns and shown up with XYZ in hopes of making things a little better and easier because it really has!! I know in the past I would just say, "How can I help you?" or "Is there is anything you need, please let me know!" or "I'm just a call away!" I knew these things I would say were just empty words, but at the same time I felt so lost not knowing what to do for that individual. With all these people in my life who have been such great examples, I have been inspired to do better than just give empty words, but I know now to just show up with helping hands. So thank you to everyone who has been there for us these last several weeks!!! It has been so amazing to feel your love and kindness!








6 comments:
I love the hospital gown you made! you have amazing talent. I wish you were closer so we could visit you but know we are sending thoughts your way.
amber anderson
sharon park ward
I look forward to your updates and am so glad to see you're dong so well! I would love if you were one of my patient! ;) All the best!
I love feeling your optimism through your posts! You are amazing, and I totally wish I would have had a cute hospital gown!!!! If you eventually start making some to sell, I will promote the heck out of them! I also wish I lived near there so I could stop by and see ya! Maybe we'll have to FaceTime soon!
K, totally cried about your mom making your bed with those cute sheets. Oh pregnancy hormones.
Your hospital gowns are so cute! I love it. You should definitely market them, you know, after you have the twins and they're sleeping and life is "normal" again.
I wish we lived close and I could visit. I feel like we would be great friends. :)
So happy you are getting spoiled, I know so many Mom's who would love one of your creations. I also love what your Mom did and I am glad Amrah arranged all those pretty flowers for you! Glad you are in Socal with all your friends, it makes a big difference.
How did I not know about your hospital gowns!? I found out a few weeks too late! Those are super cute. Glad to see you are getting well taken care of!
Post a Comment