In our society stretch marks are viewed as something disgusting or non-human. They may make your brain say to your self, "EEEEEEEEEEWWWWW!!! WTF, YOU HORRIFYING MARKINGS OF DEATH!!!" Well that was my reaction to this new discovery. Can I first start off and say how sneaky these son of a bees are? I made it a whole 36 weeks... I was almost to the finish line. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... these rude, rude, rude, creepy, monsters made their happy little way in to my life, and being pregnant makes it difficult to see every inch of your body. So when you find yourself walking in circles trying to see if that is indeed the worst thing you can find on your butt, you feel like someone just sucker punched you in the head! RUDE!! I would never do such a thing, to anyone... EVER!
I must say I cried when this news sunk into my consciousness. Mostly because I was really emotional that day, and hormones where ruling over me. I then began to think of why stretch marks are so unwelcome to many of us who have to sport them. It is because it is associated with gaining weight, which for whatever reason is frowned upon in our society. When many people forget that it may mean you loose weight too fast, or maybe possibly had a child or two. I also then realized no one looks at stretch marks and thinks, "Ohhh how cute, you had a baby!!! What a great souvenir to always reflect on!" After wishing that is what people would REALLY think I then decided to make a whooooole new stigma about stretch marks. I decided to LOVE THEM! Yes, you read that right LOVE, as in L-O-V-E!!
How do you love your stretch marks you may ask? It is not exactly easy, but I can begin to share the secret. Think of the happiest thing you could ever comprehend... for example I am thinking of what my baby's smile will be like. Once you have chosen that image, place it after every glance you make of those defined markings. You can even choose to say something to help make the thought process more efficient. Like I am going to say, "I love you baby battle wounds! You are not ugly to me!" You see the real trick is to trick yourself!!! Also, use this same process if you see someone else with stretch marks. Together we can change the way everyone feels and views stretch marks!!! Don't you agree?
I share this with all of you to read because I feel like we are all human and we all gain and/or loose weight. We have great bodies that we all respect, and sometimes it is hard to remember why we love them or why we may even feel beautiful. I just wanted to bring humor into something that may be taken negatively.
So instead of always saying "@$*&%#" to our stretch marks or other body parts.... lets say, "I freaking love you, you little piece of joy!!!" Never under underestimate the power of your brain.... it can do wonders!





5 comments:
hahaha i love you and my stretch marks too!
i love you! I'm going to need to read this when I'm aquiring baby battle wounds myself!
I love your optimistic attitude! I have stretch marks on my stomach, a lot! I got new ones with each pregnancy! Lucky me to be reminded of each of my wonderful babies!! :)
PS. I've heard that you can use Mederma right away and it helps them fade even more than they normally would.
I don't know how that little body of yours has made it this far without stretch marks. Don't sweat it! It's just the first of many body changes you get to endure as a woman. :)
Welcome to the stretchmark club! I got to 39.5 weeks without them, and all the sudden BAM! I was very sad, but I'm glad you can be happy. And just think, your little baby is growing! You have visual proof now that your baby lived inside you and grew!!!
Post a Comment