Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I Heart You Headband

I have all of this felt fabric, so I thought I would find ways to put it to use. So there may be other felt projects soon to come ahhaha.

Hearts are my favorite shape in the whole wide world, so I thought I would make something that had to do with hearts.

What you will need:
1.) Scissors
2.) Felt {multiple colors or the same}
3.) Heart shape cookie cutter
4.) Head band
5.) Hot glue gun
6.) Tule (3"x2")
7.) Peacock feathers
8.) Empty cereal box/card board

Step 1:

  • Take the cookie cutter and trace it onto the card board/cereal box and cut out.

  • Take the heart-shaped cardboard pattern and cut out 4 heart-shaped felt pieces. I like to use multiple colors.

  • Choose one heart to be this biggest one. Take the other three and make them smaller. I didn't want all of my hearts to be the same size.
    • To make the hearts smaller, fold the heart in half, down the middle.
    • Take your scissors to the fold and cut what will look like a silhouette of an ice cream cone.
    • The smaller the "ice cream cone" the smaller the heart will be.


Step 2:

  • On the bottom of the peacock feather gently pull 5 strips of feather down the quill. 
  • Fuse the feathers together by placing a pearl of hot glue at the bottom of the feather clusters.

  • Once the glue has dried, trim the ends of the feather for a clean straight end.

Step 3:
  • Take the rectangle piece of tule and twist and manipulate it to make an asymmetrical shape.

  • Once you have the ideal shape, place a decent amount of hot glue at the bottom to secure the shape. Let dry completely.

Step 4:
  • Arrange the hearts to your liking.

  • Hot glue the three smallest hearts to one another. Do not hot glue to the bigger heart.

  • Place the feathers and tule in a place you like, then secure the placement with a dab of hot glue on the biggest size heart.
  • Hot glue the cluster of hearts on top of the tule and feathers to hide the glue.
  • Find a place you would like the hearts to sit on the head band, and mark with a pin or sharpie.
  • Take a piece of fabric from one of the scrap hearts and use to protect the back side of the head band {see photo below}.
  • Hot glue the heart onto the head band while it is also secured to the spare piece of felt.

  • Wear it with whatever you like and enjoy!

Sorry for the ghetto photo!!! I actually can't stand this one... but it works, right?!?


4 comments:

Kelli said...

LOVE..LOVE...LOVE.... We need to hang out my crafty friend so you can teach me a thing or two ;) Seriously though...let's hang out soon

Brittany said...

I like that it is so simple and you don't need a sewing machine or anything!

Diana Smith said...

gorgeous! Love the colors! We need to have a little felt party haha

Tommie said...

So cute!! I need to make many of these in all colors and shape for my girls. O loves headbands!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...