Monday, May 30, 2011

Rosette Headband

Rosettes are probably my most favorite thing on this earth! Here is an easy and fast way to make a rosette headband.

What you will need:
1.) Fabric Scissors
2.) One 1/2" thick strip of fabric 18" long
3.) One 1/2" thick strip of fabric 19" long
4.) One 1/2" thick strip fabric 20" long
5.) Hot glue gun and glue
6.) Thread and needle {optional} - make sure it is ready before you start working
7.) Headband {I like the ones at Michael's, Forever 21, and grocery stores  - usually sold in a set}
8.) Two small pieces of felt {approx. 2"x 2"}

Step One:

- Cute three pieces of fabric that are 1/2" thick. My smallest rosette was 18" long, medium rosette was 19" long, and the biggest rosette was 20" long.

- Once your pieces are cut, take your thumb and scratch at the fabric with your nail on the edges to create a distressed look. You can also tug a little bit on the threads of the fabric.



Step Two:

- Take your strip and start to twirl it around and around to give it a textured look. 

- When you are starting, it is bestto twirl the fabric tight to start the coil. 

- With your index finger and thumb, start making a coil-like shape while continue to twirl the fabric, making the next layer slightly under the row previously coiled. 


- Once you have created a few rows of the twirled coil fabric, on the back side of the rosette, place a small pearl of hot glue in between each row. You should not be able to see the hot glue from the front of the rosette. NEVER REMOVE YOUR THUMB AND FINGER, that is what holds the fabric rosette together until it is fully secure.

- Continue to twirl, coil, and hot glue on the back side of the rosette until you only have a small piece left.



Step Three:

- When you are running out of fabric, make one last twirl and then fold it behind the rosette and secure that piece with hot glue. Your rosette is complete.

- If your fabric coil comes loose, you can take the thread and needle and secure the loose pieces to another row.

- If it continues to unravel, it means you did not secure it enough with the hot glue. 



Step Four:

- Now all three of your rosettes should be complete and three different sizes.

- Arrange your rosettes in an order that you like.

- Once you have found the pattern you desire, place a drop of hot glue directly in the center of the biggest rosette and immediately place it onto the felt. Do the same for the medium size rosette, then again to the smallest rosette.

- If your felt is showing, you can trim the felt as needed. Do not cut away too much of the felt because it helps provide structure to the cluster. 

- Mark the headband on where you want to secure your cluster. 

- Once you have the position of where to glue the cluster of rosettes onto the head band, place a small amount of hot glue onto the felt, immediately place it onto the head band. Apply pressure.

- When the hot glue has cooled, you can cover your second piece of felt with hot glue. After, place it to the back side of the headband as if you are sandwiching the headband. Let it cool.






Step Five:

- It is ready to be worn!





I am linked with Sew Many Ways, Fingerprints on the Fridge, The Girl Creative, Keeping it Simple, Petite Hermine, I Heart Nap Time, Mad In Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Today's Creative Blog, Cherished Treasures, Under the Table and Dreaming

Happy Memorials Day!!! May we all remember 
those who have served, protected, and defended our country! 
They are our real life heroes!

8 comments:

Brittany said...

Love it! So cute, you will have to help me make these when you are here next and we can make a ton more bows while we are at it. Ella needs some more cute bows to go with her outfits :)

Unknown said...

Cute! I need to find time to make some headbands like this for Aubrey. I love them.... but I'm not the best at crafts. But, you did make it look easy!

Unknown said...

So cute! I wish I was that crafty.

Katie said...

No kidding! It's stinking adorable! Love those colors!! =)

Judy @ In His Grip said...

This hair band is so cute. I keep saying I am going to make some of these flowers. Love it.

Eva Marie said...

Ok love these!! When I get some free time I really want to make one

Chef in Training said...

Love this! it is super cute! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Terry said...

Your headband turned out super cute! Aren't these flowers the easiest thing to make? It took me a couple of tries before I got it down..thanks for linking up! I hope you'll come back again this weekend. Take care!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...