My mom and dad were devastated but relieved at the same time. My mom was worried about what the future held for me, but thrilled to have an answer to start making a plan of what would be best for me and my scholastics. I never did like school, I spent many hours trying to understand something so difficult yet everyone else was able to learn so easily. I remember learning to read and looking at the letters as if they were hieroglyphics. Everyday after school I would stay an extra hour working in a class called Resource, then after that I would meet with a tutor to help me with homework and other tasks.
This lasted almost my whole education. There were various programs that I was in and other Resource classes. When I was in the 4th grade my mom found this a program in Berkley (at the time we were living in a town in the Bay Area called Alamo) it was about an hour away from our house and I traveled at 8 am during commuting hours. It was 3 hours a day 5 days a week for 3+ months. My mom was able to clear it with my school so I actually didn't ever attend my class until the afternoon. I loved it because every day after the program I would get lunch with my mom at this 50's diner. I loved how my parents always tried to make it a fun day. When I graduated from the program, my parents took me to this wonderful hotel called the Claremont Hotel for a fancy lunch were I wore my favorite dress and tights, and my dad gave me this beautiful porcelain doll. I felt like a princess, and I knew they were so proud of me and that meant the world to me.
To be completely honest I am not sure when I ever learned how to read. I never felt comfortable reading in front of a large group... a small group... well actually in front of anyone. I actually never enjoyed reading period. I always felt overwhelmed and it seemed to take me much longer to read than anyone else I knew. I didn't feel confident reading out loud until I was 20 years old. I know that I was able to acknowledge the fact that I could read in the 6th grade, but that is all I can really remember... I don't remember getting it or being proud. I just remember my teacher giving the class a reading level test and I scored a 4th grade level and I thought, "Ohhh I can read!"
I would love to tell you that I no longer struggle with this learning disability, or that there is a cure for APD, but unfortunately the only thing that can be done is constant work. I have learned how I learn, how I perceive things, the way my brain works, and memorizing became my greatest tool. I struggle with this every single day, but because it is all I know I am not always aware that it is something I struggle with. In 2009, I was driving home from work balling because I was having a hard day. I called my sister, Brittany, for advice and to vent. I will never forget what she told me, she said, "You have a learning disability, it's not easy! You have learned to compensate for things, you have done so well at this no one even knows that you struggle and if anyone were to see how far you have come they would be astonished." Whenever I think about this it makes me choke up with tears, knowing that someone knows how far I have come and yet knows how hard it still is for me. I never knew until that moment how much I really struggled.
My family has always made me feel loved and accepted, they never once judged me. They helped me to learn that this is who I am and to never be ashamed of it. Because they never had shame around it, I never had shame around it. This has made me a better and stronger person. Without them and their help I don't know who I would be today.
I want to share this because I hope that anyone who does have a learning disability will be able to love that part about themself. My hope is if you know anyone who is different then you, that you will accept them for exactly who they are, instead of judging them for not filling your standard of "normal" or "intelligent." If you have a child that is behind in any way there is nothing wrong with getting them evaluated or tested, even if it is something behaviorally. Early intervention can work miracles!!
Thank you Mom and Dad, Brittany, McCall and Kachina for all your support, love, guidance, understanding and example.





8 comments:
I am glad you posted this. I think you can be an inspiration to a lot of people! And you have come a long way, I really don't think most people even know what it is like to be in your shoes, I know that for me, I didn't really get it until I took a class to learn Arabic and I thought, "this must be how McKinley feels when she is learning". And I don't mean that in a jokey way, that is really what I thought when I had to actually learn to read right to left, it felt totally foreign!
Hope that makes sense!
Dude, I had no idea!! I think it's so awesome that you have persisted and that you've done SO MUCH with your life...
You get at least 5 gold stars in my book, and I admire you a little bit more for reading this!!
Thank you, McKinley, for telling this story.
I totally understand your parents feelings when they got your diagnosis. I felt the same sense of relief mixed with sadness when we got Olivia's 5p- diagnosis. I was so relieved that it wasn't degenerative but worried because there isn't a cure.
I hope Olivia follows in your footsteps and learns to love every single thing about herself, even her 'differences.'
Thanks for sharing this dear! You really do have the neatest family!
Very inspirational!!!
Wow, I just got around to exploring the other parts of your blog - thank you so much for sharing this! My second daughter is learning disabled in very odd and unusual ways (reads at college level but writes at 2nd grade level - understand algebra but can't add without using her fingers), but lives on her own and works.
We are proud of you!
This is inspiring as I also have a learning disability. I was in resource classes also. I still struggle with it like people will be talking to me using words I do not understand and I have to stop them and have them explain what there talking about. it gets frustrating. Ushally I will have to read something three times to get it.
Post a Comment