Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Best Meal!

When it comes to dinner I usually don't like to go off a recipe because I feel like I can never use all the ingredients. It's cheaper for me to just shop for what I need and it is faster because I don't have to take the time to read every step to see if I have done it right.

As of recent, I have been trying to add more fish into our menu. I am really picky about what kind of fish I eat because it always seems fishy. While I was at the grocery store, I decided to look at what the butcher had for sea food. I saw ahi tuna and ono, which are two of my favorite fishes in the whole wide world. I love deep sea tropical fish. One day I hope to go deep sea fishing when I go home to Maui to visit. These fish are really hard to come across if you're anywhere else, except Hawai'i. I looked at the butcher, Grant, and asked how fresh this fish really was. He informed me that they are trying this new way of shipping the fish. They next-day-air the fish live and swimming and then they butcher the fish at the store. I was sold!!! I thought, "What a brilliant way to keep such a wonderful fish fresh - really fresh!" I bought the ono not knowing how to make it at all! {Ono is Hawaiian for "good." It literally is the best fish ever! It is a white, flaky fish with a very mild taste}

When I got home that night, I knew I had to make it right away so it would still be delicious and fresh. I started brain-storming. I looked in my pantry; I had bread crumbs and corn flakes. I thought I could bread the fish. I looked in my fridge and found parmesan - what a perfect combination.  I threw all three items into a zip block bag and took a rolling pin to make the corn flakes smaller. I now needed to make a liquid to dip the fish in so the breaded mixture would stick. I again ran to the pantry and saw cream of chicken. I added salt, pepper, milk, melted butter and water to get the right consistency and flavor. It made so much. I couldn't let it go to waste so I poured about 2 cups worth into a shallow dish {pie pan} to dip the fish, and the rest I put on the stove to cook and get warm.

I added some olive oil to a pan and fried the fish, Ono, very slowly to make sure it would cook all the way through because they were really thick slices.  It was all done and beautiful, I had the fish and rice with the gravy poured over it and it was delicious!!! I was so pleased with the way it turned out.






3 comments:

Janssen said...

I'm impressed! I am so not a "just throw things together" kind of cook. I need my hand held the whole way!

R+M said...

Mmm! Ok, if THAT'S how they're shipping fish these days I am eating it WAYYYY more now. Best news I've heard in a while!

Diana Smith said...

I don't even like fish but that looks really good!! yummy dinner!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...