The other night I was lying in bed and thinking about the fabric I just bought, when suddenly a design came to mind. I spent some time trying to cut the fabric to see how I could manipulate it to become the way I had envisioned it. After trial and error, I finally come up with this creation:
I call her Magnolia Flower
So there are some small flaws... do you see them?!? NOT THE POINT!!! The point is, through my wonderful education at FIDM, I was able to make a pattern that works. So I thought I would share the joy with you in case you choose to make these on a rainy/snowy Sunday.
First you will need:
1.) Scissors
2.) Ruler
3.) 8.5x11 sheet of felt fabric
4.) An empty cereal box
5.) Hot glue and glue gun
6.) Clips i.e. hair clips, brooch clips, etc...
7.) A decorative button
Step 1:
- On a flat piece of cardboard {cereal box}, I cut out three squares and a circle. I first made two circle that was 2" in diameter. Because I wanted to save time, I searched my pantry for something of that size and found my vitamins that worked like a charm.
- 2- 2" diameter circles
- Now for the three different size petals... three squares. I made about 15 petals for each size just in case I made a mistake.
- 1 1/2" square
- 1 1/4" square
- 1" square
Step 2:
- Now that the fabric is all cut out, you can begin the tedious part. For each square, I cut them into a pentagon shape. Once that shape was complete, I rounded the top three corners. I left the bottom two corners harsh so I knew what side to fold.
- The squares now look like artichoke leaves, can you see the shape yet?
Step 3:
- Your petals are ready for gluing. For the 1" and 1 1/4" petals I glued a small bead and pinched the fabric like so...
- The 1 1/2" petals I folded twice. Because this is bigger I found it was easier to get the correct shape by gluing it this way. See images below...
Instead of a bead of glue, do a strip
Fold one corner to the center
Fold the second corner so it over laps the first corner.
Creating the petal to have more of a cylinder shape.
Step 4:
- After all the petals are created, feel free to trim any you feel need more rounding or more of a point.
- With the 1 1/2" {largest} petals, you will first glue them around the edge of one of the 2" circles.
- Make sure your petals are closely touching so there are no gaps. You can decide how far out you would like your petals to be on the circle.
- Wrap the largest petals all the way around the circle until you are no longer able to place anymore petals. You have completed the first row of petals.
- Now take the 1 1/4" {medium} petals and do the same as you did with the petals previously except move in closer into the center, making the felt circle disappear. This will create the second row of petals.
- Lastly take the 1" {smallest} petals and fill in the same way as you did with the two previous size petals.
- Once you are done with all three rows of petals you are ready to add your button. Add a large bead of hot glue to the center of the magnolia flower and place button.
I am so sorry I have no photos to share. All of a sudden I was done, and relized I didn't document this step.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Step 5:
- Now you have your complete flower and you are ready to add a clasp. On the second 2" circle, place the clip where you would like it to go.
- Fold the fabric and cut a very small slit for the brooch to stick through.
- Add hot glue to the back of the clip. Do not apply pressure because it can seep through the felt.
- Gently add it to the back of the flower. As the clasp is drying you can glue the "seams" shut by making a thin layer as close to the edge as possible. Again, do not add pressure, the glue will do it's job well enough.
This is what the back of your completed flower should look like.
Cut slits in second circle. Add clasp.
Glue the clasp to the backside of the circle. {The side that will not be seen}
Step 6:
- Add it to a headband, belt, shirt or clip it in to your hair. It can make a great gift or you can add it to a present for some pretty packaging detail.
- Voila!!! You are beautiful and proud of your hand-made craft!!!









12 comments:
I LOVE IT!! You need to make me some cool stuff so i can look as cute as you!! xx
How adorable! Look how talented you are!
I love it! So cute. :)
x
I love it! Good idea and I love that you gave us step by step instructions!
That is adorable!! (somehow when going through the assembly line the creativity gene missed me...). Thanks for sharing!
ummm....in case what I wrote doesn't make sense, which I now realize it might now, I was trying to say that I have no creative capabilities and I might be a bit envious of you....:)
That is adorable! I've never seen that version of a fabric flower done. I'll definitely have to try it!
So pretty!! I love it.
I love it McKinley! Very pretty! I love the color too! You did a great job!!
Very cute, totally love it!! It looks great in every place you wore it
this is so cute!!!! i love making flowers out of felt
I'd love for you to link this up to my new link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-whims-wednesday-1.html
Kin this is GREAT! I love it! Maybe I will try this out :)
Post a Comment