Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Provo

The Provo Tabernacle was originally built in 1883 and at the time the building was the most beautiful and expensive building in the town. As of recent, the building was used for LDS church services, and in 2009 I was lucky enough to be able to attend a Sunday meeting in the tabernacle. It was beautiful and I was so excited to be able to spend time in such a historic building. It was a reminder of the pioneer spirit.

 The original Tabernacle had a center steeple, but was removed for weight reasons. 


The pulpit 

Last December, a week before Christmas, the building was burned down in the middle of the night because of an electrical error {A 300 watt lamp was a part of the permanent lighting system, providing a heat and fuel source. They say if the first fire alarm had gone off, the fire fighters would have been able to save the building, but by the time they were called it was too late}. Many people were upset and emotional about the tragedy. Everything in the building was destroyed and only the outer shell was left standing. There was a lot of debate and concern over what to do with the building. 

All that was left

Almost everything was destroyed. This photo is AMAZING!!! Look at his face!

Last Saturday, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced that they are going to rebuild the Provo Tabernacle as a second Provo Temple. I got chicken skin when I heard it and the audience literally gasped with shock. Because the Provo Temple is one of the busiest temples in the world, they felt it was best to make another temple for Provo.

This is what they plan the second Provo Temple will look like.

You can definitely say that God works in mysterious ways and that the burning of the tabernacle was really a blessing in disguise. 

**If you have any questions about temples, I put four different links to the word "temple" above. I believe that each link serves a great purpose and will answer multiple questions. They each explain different topics that you might find relevant. Please take the time to view each link.... I promise you wont regret it!**

2 comments:

kme1981 said...

I am so excited for this! The Provo Tab is where we would have our Stake Conferences until the fire. Whenever I would drive by it would just make me sad to think of all the fun traditions I had with my kids there that we couldn't do anymore. (every Christmas they would put on a live nativity with real animals and everything...a kid all time favorite). I'm so excited for this new temple and hope we are still here to see it completed!!!

Unknown said...

I had no idea there was a steeple on the original. I'm so glad you shared that info because I was not too excited about that "addition"... but now I am because it's OG.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...